LONDON: DIPPY, AND SOME RESTAURANTS



On a recent whistle-stop trip to The Natural History Museum (primarily to see Dippy - above) I was just as enamoured with the mosaiced floors as I was the exhibitions...








 ...there were lots of priceless diamonds and gems but I liked the trays of sulphites and precious stones....








... like this geometric fluorite from round my way...

... and this stone (I like it because I have a similar one at home)...


... and more teeny tiny tiles... 



... and shafts of light pouring into the Hintze Hall, where hundreds of young people took selfies.


FOOD

Mo'Cafe

I've often found myself wondering where to go to eat when I've been around Regent Street/Piccadilly. I must have walked past the entrance to Heddon Street so many times, not realising that tucked around the corner is a selection of terrace cafes/restaurants. I couldn't get a seat outside (it was the first hot day of the year and everyone had the same idea) so instead sat myself down inside on a comfy little couch.

I selected from the mezze menu and chose zaalouk (top), a smooth dip made from charcoal-roasted aubergines with cumin and smoked paprika, with a basket of steaming hot pitta bread; courgette flower (left) stuffed with charmoula-spiced seafood (charmoula is a Moroccan marinade) and succulent chargrilled chicken skewers marinated with ginger, coriander and garlic (right).

It doesn't look like a great deal of food but the dip and pitta alone would have been enough for one, so I thought £16.75 for all 3 dishes was really good value. I'm guilty of eating with my eyes, so the fact that everything was plated on pretty earthenware dishes and that my mint tea was served in a traditional  glass (and in the traditional style of pouring it high from the air) made the meal even lovelier.

25, Heddon street
London W1B 4BH








  
Byron Burger
I've stayed at a hotel in the Earls Court area quite a few times but have always mindlessly walked past Byron. On one journey towards my accommodation I was so hungry that I decided to eat at the first place I could find - and spotted Byron just a couple of doors down from the tube station exit.

I had the Le Smokey burger - with smoked cheddar, streaky bacon, crispy fried onions and smoked chilli BBQ sauce - with a side of courgette fries and a humongous strawberry shake. I had my burger rare which kept it nice and juicy, and the courgette fries were a nice, lighter addition than regular chips.

242 Earls Court Road
London SW5 9AA

I'm always looking for recommendations of good places to eat in London - around the Earls Court area would be great but any  suggestions are welcome!